I suggest you ...

Microsoft needs a Browser based Forms Editor

We need a forms solution that isn't just limited to PCs and is not part of the Office Application family. We are talking about tools for SharePoint, it makes no sense that SPD, Access, and InfoPath are required to extend SharePoint. This approach also creates all kinds of issues for large organizations which are still using Office 2010.

Thanks.

1,145 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nick HurstNick Hurst shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rod ParrishRod Parrish commented  · 

Ok, so other than getting stuck with an expensive 3rd party vendor for creating list forms, or needing to hire developers or focus current developers on form creation, where really is the solution for creating forms? Access has been suggested as an option, but recently that's been placed on the extinction list. Excel survey forms only work in OneDrive if at all, and PowerApps while not even available for government tenants appears to be pretty primitive for the desktop. We desperately need a browser based form editor.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I have been primary resource for getting users on board with using SharePoint. This process has been very successful. InfoPath has been a key component of allowing us to build forms, deploy and be able to manage without having to have a developer where we have to place the forms in a queue to get changes made. This tool empowered super users. I do not mind if Microsoft has a better tool but it would be better to introduce the new tool along with the phase out of the old tool so that we can be able to switch forms over. I am a Microsoft baby and love Microsoft, but I think we need to know what is the future for forms in SharePoint. After my companies invest all the money to use SharePoint they deserve to know what they should be looking to use. What if we pick a tool that is not compatible with the future of SharePoint. Its okay to change the tool but please tell us where you are going so that we can take the trip with you.

• PeterPeter commented  · 

Maybe you can update InfoPath so it works well on mobile devices.

• PeterPeter commented  · 

InfoPath is ok for technical users but it doesn't work on mobile devices. It would be difficult or impossible for regular users to use InfoPath. I want to design forms in SharePoint where I work but I am not sure if I should use InfoPath. It doesn't make sense for me now to spend a lot of time designing InfoPath forms if it will be replaced. Microsoft can you let us know when we can expect new forms?

• ChrisChris commented  · 

As a non-coder, I could win my company over to SharePoint in a major way if I can just have design tools that don't require an informational technology college degree. A simple-to-use form and page creation/formatting tool to allow SharePoint end-user "champions" to develop that "WOW" factor is embarrassingly lacking in the current SharePoint environment in which no one will touch InfoPath now that it's life is deemed terminal. Please provide a forms and page styling application soon. Impressing decision-makers is impossible for non-coders using current out of the box features.

• Robert MartinRobert Martin commented  · 

This is absolutely necessary. More and more processing are moving online as users and management want better ways to store, track, and report their work. We are moving away from the necessity of having a physical signature as a barrier to going online. With a shrinking workforce here in state government, opportunities for efficiency and time savings are important. This feature would give business users an opportunity to add some customizations where needed without involving IT. However, like other O365 features there should be and "advanced" setting area where IT Pros can go in and add scripts or other customizations to meet specific business requirements. Having an OTB tool would give my team that foundation to make customizations easily and consistently while giving us the ability and time to focus on where the real NECESSARY work needs to occur: business logic/UI/UX.

• Dickran MardirossianDickran Mardirossian commented  · 

I feel that InfoPath is an indispensable tool, especially for an organization our size - 10 hospitals and 16,000 employees.
        We have been using it successfully to build SharePoint list forms, and to see it go away is unthinkable.

• Juan Pineiro, Unversity of MiamiJuan Pineiro, Unversity of Miami commented  · 

If they finally build a better forms product on SharePoint. Offer better List Views. How about WYSIWYG Views and Charts option.

• HaroutHarout commented  · 

Unbelievable! After this many years this is finally a feature request?
        If you want to see this in action check out https://emgage.com/turbo

• Lou MickleyLou Mickley commented  · 

Don't forget the end user - make a form tool that is capable of being created by an empowered user and not just a SP developer.

• Mark ReynoldsMark Reynolds commented  · 

I'd like to see InfoPath replace the Developer module in Word. I find InfoPath's methods much more intuitive for creating form layouts and placement of controls. Using Word does my head in because I have to carefully plan how many columns I need to contain all the data while still looking professional.

• o365spoo365spo commented  · 

We need this so bad on SPO. Build it into SharePoint. WYSIWYG Drag and Drop of data-bound elements. I like the Access Page Designer on SPO 2013, but want it as a webpart app that runs within the site context. Something like the SSRS Designer that enables us to move elements anywhere in the webpart. Allow us to use it on List Views. We need this more than ever now that SPD Data View WebParts in designer mode is gone. Allow us to join, merge and filter various data sources. Create complex expressions that like SPD DVWP. IMO, this would take SPO to the next level.

• GaryGary commented  · 

Keep it simple - it is difficult for enterprises to keep up with large product churn / releases and investment in new product is not always easy (look how many continue to run XP!). There are enough office products to address forms - be it excel or word, I think Microsoft should make the investments in extending the office products and keep things simple for the business users. It makes sense for business users to use word to generate/publish forms and IT Pros or Admins to connect up the data in the back end be it SP, SQL, Excel or other.

• Thomas PedersenThomas Pedersen commented  · 

Just to underline this, I'm not a huge fan of bulking a lot of tools within the SharePoint Designer toolbox. The issue with this is that opening SD permission is very binary - if you allow for this Tool to be used for this specific purpose, you have essentially opened the door to loads of other issues because users are then allowed to do a lot of other stuff, too.

• Juan Pineiro, Unversity of MiamiJuan Pineiro, Unversity of Miami commented  · 

Not just for Input Forms. Display Views too. Include a View/Report feature where we can join multiple data sources and "Display" those fields in anywhere within a Web Part. Add some Dataview and SSRS features. Field expressions to create like URL link and emailto dynamic fields.

• Josee SevignyJosee Sevigny commented  · 

Not sure about browser based editor as these forms need to be deployable. Infopath allows us to develop the form from anywhere and deploy it 'anywhere'. I could however, see the form editor residing inside SPD and visual studio.

• Dennis BottjerDennis Bottjer commented  · 

This almost makes too much sense. Imagine a web app....Wait for it #SharePoint having a wait for it.... a browser based forms editor. Who would have thought of such madness. :)

• SigurjónSigurjón commented  · 

I agree. The forms designer needs to be a part of SP and web based, not relying on Office or other applications. It could be part of SharePoint Designer given that it is freely available. It also must support all the changes that are made within SP and support ALL the data types.

• Fredrik CoulterFredrik Coulter commented  · 

My issue with the current version of browser based forms is that too much of the functionality was lost. I couldn't recommend upgrading to SharePoint Enterprise for forms because almost none of my forms were supported by Forms Services.

(Yes, there are other reasons to potentially upgrade.)

• Corey RothCorey Roth commented  · 

I agree and I think everyone Microsoft has shown us has been browser based. I probably wouldn't use my votes on this since this requirement is pretty much assumed.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base